1 Home | About NBMHP | Provincial Sites | Books | Links | Contact



French Military Supply Depot
Skull Island, near Shediac Island

Archaeological site of French supply depot built in 1749.


Fort Beausejour-Fort Cumberland National Historic Site
Off Trans-Canada Highway at Exit #550A, Aulac

A star-shaped, pentagonal fort built by the French between 1751 and 1755 in the course of the long struggle with the English for the possession of Acadia. Captured by the British under command of Colonel Robert Monckton on June 16th, 1755 following a siege. The British strengthened the fortification and renamed it Fort Cumberland. The fort was subjected to a second siege during the American Revolutionary War. It was successfully defended against an invading Rebel army under General Jonathon Eddy. This site is one of the most important military history locations in New Brunswick.

Learn more about Ft Beausejour at Parks Canada.


Fort Gaspereau, later Fort Monckton
Off Highway #960 near Port Elgin
Fort Gaspereau, located on Baie Verte on the Northumberland Strait, was built to support the main French defence work at Fort Beausejour. With the British Royal Navy dominating the Bay of Fundy, the French developed a more secure supply route which ran across the Isthmus of Chignecto to Fort Gaspereau. It was built in the summer of 1751 and consisted of a square palisaded work with blockhouse-type bastions, enclosing six buildings. The day following the surrender of Fort Beausejour to Colonel Monckton, Fort Gaspereau was occupied by Colonel John Winslow. The British renamed the fortification Fort Monckton and occupied it for the remainder of the Seven Years War. It is a National Historic Site and includes a small military graveyard of nine British soldiers killed in an ambush by Natives in April 1756.
National Historic site market of Fort Gaspereau, later Fort Monckton.  Photo by Lee Ellen Pottie (c) 2005.

Butte a Roger
Near Aulac

An outpost for Fort Beausejour was built on Butte a Roger, a knoll about 3/4 of a mile from the fort, overlooking the Missaguash River and the British Fort Lawrence. On June 3rd, 1755 a British patrol crossed the Missaguash River ostensibly to recover straying cattle but with the intent of reconnoitre the French defences. It was opposed by Ensign de Langy, the outpost commander. The next day, after the British had captured Pont a Buot, the French abandoned Butte a Roger.


Pont a Buot Redoubt
Highway #16, Point du Bute

In order to impede a British advance from Fort Lawrence, Louis Du Pont Duchambon de Vergor, the French commander of Fort Beausejour, ordered the bridge called Pont a Buot Bridge the Missaguash River destroyed and a redoubt containing four small swivel-guns built to command the crossing,. On June 4th, 1755 the British captured the redoubt after a brief skirmish, which left one French soldier killed and an Acadien settler wounded.


Capture of Lieutenant Thomas Dickson, Gorham Rangers
Junction of Aulac River and La Coup Stream, near Jolicure

On 20 July 1757, Lieutenant Thomas Dickson of the Gorham Rangers, with a French guide, led a force of 25 men to attack a suspected French and Native camp some ten miles from Fort Cumberland. They crossed the Aulac River near Jolicure and found that the camp had been abandoned only hours before. After destroying the camp, while attempting to recross the Aulac River near its junction with the La Coup Stream, they were ambushed. The only survivors were Lieutenant Dickson, wounded in the shoulder, and the French guide. The guide was turned over to the Natives and the wounded Dickson was taken by the French to a prison in Trois-Rivieres, Quebec, where he remained until exchanged following the fall of Quebec City. After the war, Dickson settled near Fort Cumberland and his grave marker is located on the grounds of Fort Beausejour National Historic Site.


Bloody Bridge
Near Jolicure

Although the British had captured and occupied Forts Beausejour and Gaspereau in 1755, they did not control much outside these fortifications. In 1759, a detachment consisting of a sergeant and three men from the Provincial Rangers and seven soldiers from the British 46th Regiment left Fort Cumberland on a wood cutting detail. They were ambushed by a force of French and Natives at what is now known as Bloody Bridge. Five of the British detachment were killed, scalped and stripped.


Capture of a British Schooner
Grindstone Island, Eastern Bay of Fundy off Mary’s Point

Two British vessels anchored off Grindstone Island to await a favourable tide, one was the armed schooner Moncton and the other a schooner transporting food stuffs, clothing, and other goods to Fort Cumberland from Halifax. During the night of 4 April 1759, using canoes, a force of Acadians and French captured the transport. At dawn they attacked the Moncton and chased it for five hours down the bay. Although the Moncton escaped, it’s crew suffered one killed and two wounded. The cargo was retained, but the captured schooner was ransomed by the French for $1500.


Community of Malakoff
South of Shediac

Malakoff was the name of one of the defensive works protecting the eastern side City of Sebastopol. It played a major role in the siege of Sebastopol during the Crimean War and was unsuccessfully attacked by the Allies on September 8th, 1855.


Sackville Memorial Park
Corner of Bridge and Weldon Streets, Sackville

When the Sackville Woodworkers Ltd factory burned down the Sackville Women's Civic Council undertook to develop the site into a memorial park to commemorate the dead of World War One. The park and cenotaph were dedicated in 1921. Since then plaques for World War Two and the Korean War have been added and a Ferret Scout Car is on display.


World War Two RCAF Repair Depot Scoudouc
Highway #132, Scoudouc

The Scoudouc airfield was a repair depot used to service aircraft employed on long range anti-submarine patrols, including Liberators or B-24s, American built four engine bombers. (Painting available by War Artist Moe Reinblatt).


Town of Dieppe
Dieppe, New Brunswick

In 1946, in remembrance of the Raid on Dieppe, the community of Leger's Corners adopted the name of this celebrated World War Two Canadian battle. This raid on the north coast of France occurred on August 19th, 1942 and was an expensive prelude to the invasion of occupied Europe. Of the 4963 Canadians embarked for this operation only 2211 returned to England, with the force suffering a total of 3367 casualties. In the memorial park next to the Dieppe Town Hall there is a mural depicting a World War Two soldier, incorporating an actual Lee-Enfield rifle and bayonet. The 913 stones that are contained in the cenotaph were gathered by French school children from the beaches of Dieppe and each signify one of the 913 Canadians killed in the raid.


CFB Moncton
St George Street, Moncton

Still in partial use by New Brunswick Militia District, 32 Service Battalion & 8th Hussars. PMQs in Acadia Park District. Storage hanger at Moncton Airport in vicinity of new terminal. Old hanger on John St - now demolished. Moncton Garrison Officers' Mess now Legion building. No 31 RAF buildings on Collishaw Street.


RCAF Moncton

It was an operational station with 164 (Transport) Squadron stationed there from 20 January 1943 to 30 September 1945. No 8 Service Flying Training School, part of No 3 Training Command of the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan was established in Moncton for pilot training in December 1940, 16 weeks a head of schedule, although handicapped by a shortage of aircraft. After completing their initial training course, those selected for pilot training then Moncton for a seven week elementary flying training. The failure rate in this phase was about 25%. In January 1944 it was moved to Weyburn, Saskatchewan. No 31 Personnel Depot was also located at Moncton, a reception centre for members of the RAF moving to and from Canada and the United States. No 2 Embarkation Depot was also located in Moncton.


Military Equipment Display
Centennial Park, Moncton

At the St George Street entrance to Centennial Park there is the following display of military equipment: - The anchor from the escort aircraft carrier HMCS Magnificent. It was presented to the City of Moncton by Rear Admiral D.S. Boyle CD on behalf of Maritime Command on 11 August 1974. - A Sherman tank called “Coriano”, painted with the tactical signs of the 8th Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise) presented to the City of Moncton by Brigadier General S.V. Radley-Walters DSO MC CD on behalf of the Regiment on 14 May 1972. “Coriano” is one of the Regiment’s battle honours from the Italian Campaign. - CF 100 Mark 5 (Canuck Aircraft) Serial 18488. This plane was first test flown on 31 August 1955 and its last flight occurred on 20 April 1966. This monument was unveiled on 14 August 1966.


CFS Coverdale
Coverdale Road, Riverview

Marked by buildings, old PMQs, and red & white water tower.


8th Hussars Armoury

Across from Post Office.


Petitcodiac War Museum
Royal Canadian Legion Building, 18 Kay Street, Petitcodiac

This excellent museum, located upstairs in the Legion building, preserves the memories and artifacts of those from the Petitcodiac region who served in the First and Second World Wars, the Korean Conflict, and as peacekeepers. It houses more than 5,000 artifacts. Admission is by donation.


Top of page

All rights reserved.